Apple pie is a beloved, all-American favorite dessert enjoyed year-round. Like most other foods, we think apple pie is much more enjoyable when it’s infused with cannabis.
Today, just in time for National Pie Day, we’re teaching you how to make cannabis-infused apple pies both from scratch, and a recipe using Ardent’s precision decarb, infusion, and baking technology.
For the infusion kit recipe below, check out the Apple Pie Infusion Kit and Apple Pie Infusion Kit Bundle!
Choosing Your Weed Apple Pie Base
Choosing your cannabis-infused base for pie crust is generally a matter of preference. Usually, a good pie crust uses butter and vegetable shortening, but you can also use coconut oil to make a plant-based version.
If you have some cannabutter in the fridge, you can always cut the recipe with some non-infused butter to tone down the dose.
Apple Pie Ingredients You Can Infuse
With infused apple pie, you have the option, of course, to just toss decarboxylated cannabis into your apple pie filling to make an “instant edible” of sorts. This is a great option for folks using a store-bought crust.
You can also make a weed apple pie with an infused crust – just have your cannabutter, infused shortening, or cannabis plant-based butter and oil on hand. If you’re feeling adventurous, you might want to infuse both the filling and the crust, or you can infuse one with CBD and the other with THC to mix it up.
How to Dose Your Weed Pie
The most educated way to dose your marijuana pie is by knowing the percentage of THC or CBD in your starting material. If you’re buying your cannabis or hemp from a dispensary, this should be written somewhere on the label or COA.
With Ardent’s precision decarboxylation technology, each cycle activates between 97-100% of available cannabinoids in your material.
A good rule of thumb for calculating dose is to move the decimal point one space to the right. For example, if you’re starting with 1 gram of plant material at 18.2% THC, your infusion will result in about 182 mgs of activated cannabinoids.
If you’re using previously infused butter or oil, you might want to consider how much of the butter your recipe will call for. For example, if you made a large batch of cannabutter and your pie recipe only calls for ¼ of it, you may want to consider infusion boosting to make it a bit stronger. The same applies in the opposite direction: if your recipe calls for cannabutter and you made your batch a bit too strong, use a portion of your infused butter combined with a portion of non-infused butter.
Our Favorite Homemade Apple Pie Recipes
Easy Semi-Homemade Infused Apple Pie Using Frozen Crust
- 2 9” frozen (thawed) pie crusts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4 peeled and cored green apples
- 3 grams of ground, decarboxylated cannabis
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add flour, white sugar, brown sugar, decarbed cannabis, and spices in a large mixing bowl. Add apples, making sure they’re fully coated.
- Pour your infused apple pie filling into your thawed crust, and top with another pie crust, slicing off extra edges and pressing them together.
- Carefully, using a knife, cut a few slits into the top crust.
- Whisk your egg, and slowly brush the top crust with your egg wash.
- Add an aluminum foil ring around the edges of your crust, and allow it to bake for 40-45 minutes.
From Scratch Infused Apple Pie
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 8 tablespoons cold cubed cannabutter
- 8 tablespoons ice water
Apple Filling Ingredients
- 8 cups Granny Smith or Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cannabutter
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and vegetable shortening.
- Little by little, begin mixing in the ice water until it’s formed a solid ball of dough. Place on a piece of parchment paper and knead it a few times before dividing it into two parts.
- Wrap your dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for an hour.
- In another bowl, add apples, lemon juice, flour, cornstarch, sugars, salt, and spices. Mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and apple cider to your mixture and combine.
- Roll out your bottom pie dough, spray your pie pan with nonstick cooking spray, and place your dough in the pie pan. Roll out your top pie dough and place it to the side.
- Fill your bottom pie crust with the spiced apple filling mixture, and place a few chunks of cannabutter on top.
- Place the top layer of dough over the filling and pinch the edges together, adding decorative creases around the edges with a fork, if desired. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and place the pie in the fridge for 20 minutes before baking.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375. Allow the pie to bake for 45 more minutes, adding aluminum foil to the crust edges if it begins to get too brown.
- Cool and enjoy!
Using the Ardent Apple Pie Infusion Kit
One of the easiest ways to enjoy weed apple pie is by trying our Apple Pie Infusion Kit or the Apple Pie & FX Double Lifter Kit Bundle. Each kit comes with two 3” pie crusts, delicious gourmet apple pie filling, enough coconut oil to infuse your filling (while making things ultra bioavailable,) and a mini funnel lined with a mesh strain screen.
The bundle version comes with an FX Double Lifter to allow you to put in and take out pies easily while baking in your Ardent FX. You can bake 2 pies at once!
- Apple Pie Mix in Ardent’s “Ready2Infuse” Cup
- 2 oz. of water
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- Preheat your Ardent FX or Nova for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add water to the device. Let water come to just under a boil.
- Add infused oil, cover and let melt for 5 minutes.
- Add water/oil mixture to Apple Pie Filling in Ardent’s Ready2Infuse Cup and stir. (Alternatively, you can boil the water outside of your device and add the boiled water and infused oil directly to the Apple Pie Filling in Ardent’s Ready2Infuse Cup)
- For Nova users: Empty the contents and prepare the filling directly inside your device (or your infusion sleeve). Cover and let cook for 20-25 minutes, until the apples are tender. When complete, fill your shells and enjoy!
- For FX users (follow rest of instructions below): Place cup (without lid) on Lifter tray. Place Lifter into your device.
- Cover the FX with FX lid, and let cook on Bake setting for 20-25 minutes.
- Lift out the cup and stir apple pie filling. Fill each shell with ½ of filling and place each tart on the Lifter tray and place in the device.
- Cook uncovered for no more than 15 minutes.
- Enjoy your infused apple pie warm or cold!
Want whipped infused whipped cream to go with your weed apple pie? Decarb your plant material in the Nova or FX. Then, infuse your decarbed material into heavy whipping cream on the FX’s infuse setting.
Strain out the raffinate using a cheesecloth or the Ardent Infusion Press. Using a mixer, combine your cannabis infused cream with 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Are you trying out cannabis-infused apple pie in celebration of National Apple Pie Day? Tag us on Instagram for the chance to be featured on our page.