Hummus: it’s a favorite snacking staple and your new favorite edible. With the Nova Lift’s capabilities as both a precision activator and an infuser, we thought we’d highlight both uses in this one versatile dish. A za’atar spice blend and infused olive oil drizzle bring this dip to the next level; you can use both or simply choose one. For accurate dosing, see our guide.
This is a simple recipe to make from scratch; let your food processor do the work. If you’re tight on time, though, you can also use store-bought hummus. A note on flavor profiles: hummus has nuttiness from tahini and brightness from lemon, which makes it a dream to pair with cannabis. You can choose an earthy, woodsy strain to bring out the richness of the sesame, or a more sour strain to highlight the citrus.
Difficulty level: Easy
Ready in: 30 minutes
** Extra time needed for activation and infusion. See our infusion guide**
Makes about 2 cups of hummus
For the Infused Olive Oil:
This will be used as a drizzle over the hummus.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ gram cannabis*, activated
Pour the oil into our silicone infusion sleeve. Add activated cannabis and put inside NOVA for a second infusion cycle. Strain and set aside.
*See our dosing guide so you can decide how much cannabis to add to the infusion.
For the elevated Za’atar Spice Blend:
This is a traditional Middle Eastern finishing spice that’s bright, savory and is the perfect final touch for hummus. You can make it yourself or buy a premade blend at your local spice shop. This is a bigger batch that you can use for the hummus with some left over for other things like eggplant, toasted pita, and roasted chicken.
1 tablespoon ground sumac
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon dried time (or oregano)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Optional: 1 tablespoon Aleppo Pepper, Urfa Pepper, or other ground spicy pepper
1 gram (or desired amount) activated cannabis flower, finely ground or a bit of activated kief (blends wonderfully into the spice blend – try using our silicone infusion sleeve to activate kief)
- Add desired amount of flower or kief into the NOVA Lift. Activate one cycle. If using flower, grind finely once it’s finished.
- Place all dried spices and ground cannabis into a bowl and mix well. Set aside. Keeps well in a sealed container.
For the Hummus:
1 can of chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
¼ cup tahini
¼ olive oil
1 garlic clove (smashed)
2 tsp. Kosher salt
Juice of 1 lemon
- Add chickpeas, garlic, salt and lemon juice to a food processor. Combine until cohesive, then scrape down sides.
- Add olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the reserved liquid and combine until very smooth. You can add more chickpea liquid/olive oil until desired smoothness achieved.
- You can also add other flavors, such as roasted red pepper or oil cured olives, by adding into food processor, or chopping finely and folding into the hummus with a spatula.
The hummus may be quite warm after processing. You can refrigerate it in a bowl until you’re ready to serve.
Put hummus in a serving dish and give an artistic swirl to the top, leaving little valleys for the oil and spices to settle. If you’re using the infused olive oil, drizzle generously over the top (otherwise, substitute with plain olive oil). Give a generous sprinkle of the za’atar spice. Serve with crudites, pita chips, or warmed crusty bread.