Cold brew coffee is great for both its flavor and convenience. You’ll notice it’s less acidic, sweeter and has more nutty-cocoa notes. Once you’ve made a batch of cold brew concentrate, you’ll have enough for the week (and it keeps even longer in the refrigerator). We love to pair it with MCT oil, or medium chain fatty acids derived from coconut oil, and grassfed butter to make bulletproof coffee that keeps our energy up and cravings at bay until lunchtime. You can choose to infuse either the MCT oil or butter (or both!) with your herb. In this recipe, we use MCT as an example. Check our our dosing guide so you can accurately infuse your coffee.
1 cup coarsely ground coffee
4 cups cold water
1 teaspoon* infused MCT oil
1 tablespoon grass-fed butter or ghee
Optional: vanilla extract, collagen peptides, sweetener
*(or desired amount, depending on dosage)
You’ll also need:
½ gram (or desired amount) of flower (cannabis)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 12+ hours (steeps overnight)
** Extra time needed for activation and infusion. See our infusion guide**
The Cold Brew:
We use a 4 to 1 ratio of water to coffee, so you can increase or decrease depending on your needs.
- First, grind beans on a medium/course setting.
- Place coffee grounds in a glass jar (1 quart or larger) and add 4 cups of cold water. Stir, cover and let this steep on your counter for 12 hours.
- Strain twice using a paper filter, cheesecloth, or a very fine mesh sieve (this may require 3 filter cycles). The result is a strong cold brew concentrate that will last several weeks in your refrigerator undiluted. You’ll want to add water at a 1:1 ratio to enjoy, as it’s quite strong on its own!
We like to make a bigger batch at a time so we have enough for a few cold brews (for instance, 1 ounce of oil and ½ a gram of flower). Check out our infusion guide so you can decide how much you’d like to make.
- Activate your flower in the NOVA Lift.
- Put the activated flower into or our infusion sleeve containing the MCT oil. Place the Infusion Sleeve into the NOVA Lift for a second cycle to infuse.
- Once the infusion cycle is complete, carefully remove the sleeve and strain the oil into an empty glass bottle. MCT oil stays liquid so try it in a dropper bottle for easy dosing.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and 4 tablespoons of hot water to the blender and blend for 30 seconds. Cold, solid butter won’t incorporate into the cold coffee.
- Add ½ cup of cold brew concentrate, ¼ cup cold water, and desired amount of the infused MCT oil to the melted butter mixture in the blender. Here is where you can also add vanilla, collagen peptides, stevia, etc.
- Blend on high for 1 minute until all of the fats are incorporated and the coffee becomes nice and frothy. Pour over ice and enjoy!