Today we’re joined by Cody Lindsay, who will be teaching us all about making CBD salve and capsules using his Ardent FX!
Who is the Wellness Soldier?
Chef Cody Lindsay, otherwise known as the Wellness Soldier, is a cannabis advocate, father, chef, and Canadian military veteran. Cody developed significant culinary skills during his time in the military, where he primarily served as a chef, and used his training to help boost morale within his unit. After completing two tours, one of which was in Afghanistan, Lindsay returned home, and like many veterans, he used cannabis (in lieu of harsher pharmaceuticals) to cope with the hardships of reassimilating to life as a civilian.
With years of experience self-medicating with cannabis and experimenting with food, Cody Lindsay quickly became an expert in using the plant at home. Here we share his CBD salve recipe as well as how he makes CBD capsules!
CBD Salve Recipe
- 1 gram of CBD isolate
- 5 oz of coconut oil
- 1 oz beeswax
- A few drops of essential oil (he uses lavender but you can use whatever you prefer)
- Preheat the FX to the bake setting.
- Add five parts coconut oil to one part beeswax in the FX, all it to meltdown, then add your CBD isolate and the essential oils of your choosing.
- Pour your mixture into a jar and allow it to cool.
- Enjoy as needed!
How to Make your Own CBD Salve
As Cody Lindsay demonstrated, it’s ultra easy to make your own CBD Topicals using the Ardent FX. Cody prefers using CBD isolate because there’s no cannabis smell in the final product; however, depending on your needs, you may want to opt for using other starting materials. You can also make THC salve or a blend of both! Find some options below:
- THC or CBD distillate – does not need to be decarboxylated
- CBD Hemp Flower – naturally full-spectrum, should be decarboxylated
- THC concentrates – like shatter, live resin, hash rosin, etc., should be decarboxylated
- A combination of full-spectrum hemp flower with some CBD isolate tossed in to increase the amount of CBD in the final product
- Any ratio of CBD:THC material that works best for you
When choosing essential oils for your salve, you might want to consider something that either compliments or masks the smell of cannabis, or something that provides a heating or cooling sensation for pain. Find some options below:
You can find our favorite CBD topical salve recipe, which includes some extra nourishing ingredients for hair, cuticles, and skin, on our blog.
Wellness Soldier’s CBD Canna-capsules Recipe
- Ardent FX
- Empty capsules (sizes 00 or 0 will do)
- 1-2 grams of CBD-rich flower (Cody uses Diesel Puff at 15% CBDA)
- Decarboxylate your CBD-rich flower using the A2 setting. You can also make THC capsules by starting this process with decarb of THC flower on the A1 setting.
- Empty out the Ardent FX’s chamber and finely grind your decarbed flower.
- Open the capsule and begin stuffing each one with your hands, a piece of folded paper, a very small funnel, or a machine for filling caps.
Trying out The Wellness Soldier’s CBD canna-capsules or CBD salve? Tag us on Instagram for the chance to be featured on our page.