Happy Lunar New Year! It’s 2021: the year of the Ox. If you were born in 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, or 1997, this is your year!
While celebrations look a little different this year, we can always count on traditions to unite us all. All week we’ll be sharing recipes from our friends in the cannabis industry who honor the holiday with an Ardent-activated infusion.
Monica Lo is the brains behind the blog and infused recipe hub, Sous Weed. Many of Monica’s recipes pay homage to her Taiwanese-American background, and this Lunar New Year recipe is no exception.
“The Lunar New Year is traditionally the largest celebration of the year. It’s a time for families to get together to honor their ancestors and to eat delicious food. Throwback to 2,500 years ago to our Chinese ancestors who consumed cannabis for medicinal, spiritual, and ceremonial purposes. And we’re still doing it today! I’m going to share how I use my Ardent FX to decarb my cannabis and activate the THC. Then I’m going to use it to infuse some sesame oil using the sous vide method.” – Monica Lo
Longevity noodles are traditionally eaten on birthdays and during other celebrations and milestones symbolizing a long life ahead. They should be slurped, rather than chewed, as to not cut that long life short. Check out Monica’s method for delicious, infused longevity noodles below!
Sous Weed Sesame Oil Recipe
This recipe makes 8 oz. of sesame oil.
- 8 oz toasted sesame oil
- 4 g cannabis flower (you can add more or less depending on desired potency)
Cannabis-Infused Sesame Oil Directions
- Place your cannabis flower in the Ardent FX and select A1 to activate THC to decarboxylate.
- Pour sesame oil into a quart-sized freezer-safe zip bag*.
- Roughly crumble the decarboxylated cannabis and place into the bag of sesame oil. Push the air out and seal the bag completely.
- Set your sous vide water bath to 85ºC (185ºF) and submerge the bag in the water. Sous vide for 4 hours.
- Remove from water bath and strain out the solids. Discard the flower and allow the infused sesame oil to cool. Store in a cool dark place.
*You can also use a mason jar or silicone sous vide bags.
**Ardent note: you can infuse sesame oil directly in the FX by pouring the oil into the device over the decarbed herb and running the “Infuse” setting. Separate flower from usable material using the Infusion Press for mess-free straining and cleanup.
Cannabis-Infused Longevity Noodles Recipe
This recipe serves 4.
- 10 oz thin Yi Mein (dried Longevity noodles)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp mushroom-flavored dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp Sous Weed sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp white pepper, freshly ground
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 small bok choy, quartered
- Large handful of Chinese chives, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Cook the noodles according to the directions on the package. Once it is al dente, drain the noodles and add a teaspoon of regular sesame oil. Gently toss with chopsticks to coat the noodles with oil so they don’t stick together. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add sugar, salt, water, soy sauce, mushroom-flavored dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, Sous Weed sesame oil, and white pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat your wok over high heat with 2 Tbsp canola oil. Add shiitake mushrooms, bok choy, and Chinese chives and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add another tablespoon of canola oil and the cooked longevity noodles. Gently stir-fry for an additional 30 seconds, making sure to not break the noodles.
- Pour in the sauce and stir-fry until the noodles are fully coated. Add more oil if needed and salt and white pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately. Happy new year!